UIF - United Islands Freeroam Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

UIF updated to SA-MP 0.3.7

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: UIF Security Account Management  (Read 6381 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PowerslidePrincess

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 426
  • SA-MP Name: PowerslidePrincess
  • Pentium 4 Master Race reporting in!
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:52:13 pm »

Read this for a stranger password.
http://forum.uifserver.net/index.php?topic=93872.0

Yep, that is one way I use to generate memorable (but not necessary to be absolutely secure) passwords, however some parts of that tutorial mess things up a bit.
Quote
Substitute numbers, symbols, and misspellings for letters or words in an easy-to-remember phrase. For example, My son's birthday is 12 December, 2004 could become Mi$un's Brthd8iz 12124 (it's OK to use spaces in your password).
This is particularly bad practice. While yes it worked fine in the 1990's and even the early 2000's when dictionary attacks were cpu and hard drive intensive, pretty much every beginner's password dictionary contains common number/symbol substitutions nowadays.

Quote
Relate your password to a favorite hobby or sport. For example, I love to play badminton could become [email protected]()n.
While yes, combined with symbols it is a bit more difficult, using something people might know about you is as silly as using "password recovery" questions. If you do use this technique, it is far better to state the opposite.

Quote
(i.ii)—What makes a password strong:
A strong password:
• Does not contain a complete word.
• Does not contain your user name, real name, or such.
• Is significantly different from previous passwords.
• Contains characters from each of the following four categories:

Characther category      Examples

Uppercase      letters:      A, B, C

Lowercase      letters:      a, b, c

N  u   m   b   e   r   s:      0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

S  y  m    b   o   l   s:       ` ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ - + = { } [ ] \ | : ; " ' < > , . ? /
I would also add that it is not a good idea to make a password that contains duplicated numbers, symbols, or letters as you want as much entropy as possible. Something like "I<[email protected]" would not be particularly good (although still better than the worst case) because it has two I's and two F's even though they are alternate case. Not to mention the use of common "leet" speak.

I actually sorta like the idea of taking a passage out of a book, but you need to be careful not to pick common phrases. I would also definitely use spaces if you are able, not all password dictionaries take them into account (yet).

While on the topic, anyone know if there are any limits to what sorts of passwords you can use ingame? I mean, could you break something if you used a particular combination of symbols that might not be escaped properly?  I ask because I have considered making my password much more secure but have been afraid I might lock myself out by doing something crazy with it. I have run into this problem in the past with other games, and I do not want it to happen here. If the answer is too sensitive for public reading (which I doubt), please pm me instead.
Logged
Windows XP users are an oppressed minority.
May the truth set you free:
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 66
Images in your signature must be no greater than 300x300 pixels


Easqυez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3826
  • bmw / drunks fsc
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:04 pm »

I would also add that it is not a good idea to make a password that contains duplicated numbers, symbols, or letters as you want as much entropy as possible. Something like "I<[email protected]" would not be particularly good (although still better than the worst case) because it has two I's and two F's even though they are alternate case. Not to mention the use of common "leet" speak.
It's okey for me,
And every one who remember what he ate yesterday.

NotoRiious

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1745
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 10:21:55 pm »

It's okey for me,
And every one who remember what he ate yesterday.

Of course it is not , only mad people can remember such a thing like that , a normal password would be helpful enough , For example AmazingSpiderman2or1? . in that case , you should always have your password copied on clipboard .
Logged
Busy with thing called "Studies"

Hαisenberg'

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2674
  • Build 97-138
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »

Great work!
Logged
Former Administrator Level 4

Clerk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
  • SA-MP Name: Clerk
  • play.uifserver.net:7776
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 05:47:58 pm »

Helpfull ;D
Logged

Ulysses

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 590
  • "1% CHANCE... 99% FAITH"
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 01:33:01 am »

Great
Logged

күoяίυs

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1494
  • SA-MP Name: Kwon_Nara
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 01:34:20 am »

Very Helpful, Thanks For Made This Topic Jazz  :)

Logged
Uncrowned x fSc

CyberTheft

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • SA-MP Name: CyberTheft
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 05:43:23 pm »

How to recover my account?

I think when i played before long this system is not there and also the email is not registered...
Logged

Jazz

  • Staff Supervisor
  • Sr. Member
  • ********
  • Posts: 6179
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 12:53:53 pm »

How to recover my account?

I think when i played before long this system is not there and also the email is not registered...
I can see that you was not able to recover your account, since something happened to it before we intoduced the email system, but did you lose your password or forget it?
Logged

.Mahdi.

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 876
  • SA-MP Name: .Mahdi.
  • ヅ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »

Thank You  ;D
Logged
     
UIF Administrator Level 4

Nafil_

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1398
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:06 pm »

Thank you dear Jazz for the info.  :)
Logged

IlhamH.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 424
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 11:36:00 am »

Hello Jazz,

I'm New Player Of This Server,

and without further ado, I would like to inquire about my account forum (Gung. / http://bit.ly/GungAccount / http://forum.uifserver.net/index.php?action=profile;u=25755 [U WANT LONG URL? K]) in which I really forgot the password and email because inactive  2 months, Without further ado anymore, I here would ask something about it, If can I found back my forum account (Gung. / http://bit.ly/GungAccount / http://forum.uifserver.net/index.php?action=profile;u=25755 [U WANT LONG URL? K]) that has been lost? Becoz, I have asked my friends, They just told me to make new forum account and another cyna word. Help plz..

- Btw this is my brother account, He make this account after I'm Inactive, Plz don't banned before giving a clear explanations.

Sincerly, Gung.

* Sorry, My Grammar is bad!!

My post is not at all get the correct response to respond!! I'll not say much more, I'm here want to ask your help, So that I can re-open my Forum Account, Because I only remember the Username and Old PASSWORD, the Email has been forgotten for disappearing for Two Months after I inactive. So I ask your help, so that I can Re-Open my Forum Account. Thanks.

My Old Forum Account [Click Here]

Logged

Snipez[NC]

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3709
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:53 pm »

Thate's good one ! Thx for information
Logged
Hall Of Malevolence

brighτy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1189
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:24 am »

That's too cool
Logged
Left'
KwS 🖤

CyberNetick

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • SA-MP Name: CyberNetick
  • "Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed
Re: UIF Security Account Management
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 11:13:49 pm »

Great work!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.